Home        The Family        The Brothers        Links        Email

N. J . A . Foster

School  Prefect
Head of House
Cricket X1
Football X1
Rackets Pair
Winners at Queens
Captain F.H.S. Cricket  v. Australians
Interned, Singapore, 1942-45


BORN 28-9-1890


DIED 8-1-1978




Innings Not Out Highest Runs Catches Average
12 3 40x 174 5 19.33

 Johnnie was the youngest of the seven and it could be said he had not the competitive spirit of his elder brothers as it was always a difficult task for him to compete with them. He preferred the relaxed atmosphere of the Free Foresters games to the more intense rivalry of first class cricket. Nevertheless, he played for Worcestershire many times making his final appearance in 1923.

 One of his joys was winning the Public Schools racquets with brother Maurice, but on the whole he did not have the time as most of the other six.

 At Malvern College he was definitely the '  Football Star ' and considered the best of all the boys. No better half-back has ever played for the school. After leaving Malvern,  although a valued member of the Corinthians,  he lacked the opportunity  to fulfill his potential completely. and he preferred the relaxed atmosphere of the Free Foresters games to the more intense rivalry of first class cricket. However, in 1927 he had the glorious experience of Captaining a Malayan side which beat an Australian X1  boasting five test players -   but this is a very lovely story on its own and to read it please click here.

 His ambition was to follow Bill in the regular army but having failed his medical he went out to Malaya and joined brother Maurice as a rubber planter.  On his return from Malaya he did in fact join the army and on leave in 1914 made his first class debut for Worcestershire in that season,  proceeding the outbreak of the  first world war. He distinguished himself in the war winning the M. C. and was Mentioned in Dispatches twice and retired with the acting rank of Major. On return to Malaya in 1919 he joined the Volunteers as a Private and eventually retired in 1934 as a Lieutenant Colonel and was awarded the OBE.   He suffered in the 2nd World War being interned by the Japanese for three and a half years in Singapore. Later Malaya was gripped by the Communists and Johnnie travelled around Malaya helping young sportsmen to succeed thus promoting racial harmony through sport. A lasting memorial was the Neville Foster recreation ground which was established throughout Malaysia.

 He returned to England in 1961 and spent some time in Brighton but the remainder of his life was spent in Malvern where he died.